The number of organisation with SSL Certificate has increased intensely. Creating and enhancing trust (and assurance of confidentiality) among online visitors is as important as providing them quality service, this is where SSL come into picture.
Key Terms of SSL to know:
SSL: Secured Sockets Layer
EV: Extended Validation
CA: Certificate Authority
CSR: Certificate signing Request
DV: Domain Validation
Types of Website Security Certificate (SSL) is divided on following basis.
- Validation Level
- Number of secured domain / subdomains
1) Validation Level:
- Domain Validation: validation is done by adding DNS record or by using email
- Organisation validation: Validation is done using domain ownership and information from public databases
- Extended Validation: It involves with strict authentication process for the website where transaction is happening and displays on the browser bar.
2) Number of secured domain / subdomains
- Single Name SSL Certificate: This type of SSL secure only a single hostname. For instance, if you secure Maindomain.com, you will be not able to secure Sub.Maindomain.com
- Wildcard SSL Certificate: Using this type of SSL, you can secure unlimited sub domains of a domain. For instance, having Wildcard SSL for Maindomain.com enable me to secure Sub.Maindomain.com and Second.Maindomain.com but it will not secure Sub. Sub.Maindomain.com.
- Multi Domain SSL Certificate: This type of certificate secures all different domain and sub domains.
- Unified Communication Certificate (UCC): This Certificate allows you to secure upto domains. This has specifically designed to secure Microsoft Exchange and office communications environments.
Trusted Websites to buy SSL Certificate
You can learn more about advantages of SSL here. Stay tuned to know more